A meeting of the digger of the New Rush, up the west branch of the Ovens, decided to give a proper name to our town, so in 1861 Harrietville evolved. Named after Harriet Tisdale, one of the few white women living here at the time. The name Harrietville first appears in the mining surveyor’s report in March 1861. Later in 1879 Harrietville was proclaimed a town.
Gold was first found in Harrietville in about 1852. A young John Bromley who was 19 years old, discovered gold in Lyrebird Gully. He covered it up, deciding to come back later, which he did and settled in Harrietville and raised a family, whose decedents are still living here.
In July 1857 the population of Harrietville grew from about 50 to 500 within two days of the arrival of the Chinese diggers from the Buckland. They were driven out after the fourth of July celebrations and subsequent riots.
Today Harrietville is built upon Tourism and the Ski industry, with its beauty and amazing walks, relaxing atmosphere it is the perfect place to visit, live or retire!